Friday, April 3, 2009

DVD Philippe Bertaud on the Music of Villa Lobos

Villa Lobos: From Rio to Hollywood, history of a passionate.

Most of the students coming to a master class will play a Villa Lobos' prelude or etude. Sharing with them this passion for the Brazilian composer, I decided to work on an instructional DVD.

First question: What do I have to say about him? Classical is known for being conservative but not Villa Lobos!
He had a lot of "non-intellectual" way to compose - what he used to call the Natural way. For instance, to move a chord shape all the way down or up through the finger board. Just like if you take a D Major and play it at any place on the neck and find some good ideas. Wes Montgomery used to do that a lot and not just him.
He also said that he did not want to use dissonances to sound modern. The idea is to portray Villa Lobos as a mix of popular and classical composer. Like Gershwin. Here was a guy from a not rich family, playing guitar in bars and streets to make some money. He used to tell a lot of stories about his travels in the Rain Forest, cannibals chasing him and other funny things… A lot of humor and the constant search for the Brazil's music soul.

The passion, the unlimited faith into his own talent leaded him to travel to Europe where he found a publisher (Max Eschig) and made friendship with famous artists like Stokowsky, Segovia and others…
1944: He went on tour to the U.S and composed for Hollywood! What a move! This picture is far from the desperate-romantic-intellectual composer driking to forget his sadness… Villa Lobos appears all the time with a smile, a big cigar from Bahia… more appealing to me!

As a teacher I try to present several options to the students for the fingerings and the interpretation with one motto:
Be Yourself!

The highest thing to me is when people can recognize your tone. Santana, Pat Metheny, Lee Ritenour, Paco de Lucia… just a few notes on the radio and you know who's playing.

I do not care for the supposed tradition. Can you imagine just following a model, specialy as an artist you want to be personal! Specially when models kill the expression to just play by the letter.
Everybody will play the same: Why bother to listen to a bunch of guy when you can listen to just one?

For the DVD I was looking for a lot of different type of fingerings, worked on them and decided to have a series of excercises that you can access from the menu.And, the top notch feature: a close up of both of my hands on the screen as I saw in a Chet Atkins video.The style can be important also - if you choose that option - also but the spirit comes first.

Villa Lobos assiduously took part in various "Choros", a type of popular music performed in the cafĂ© or open air and for which it's necessary to have a good ear and improvisation ability. The Choro musicians play during the carnival, in the street for fun and it reminded me to be in Rio and listen to choro bands on Sunday morning… or being in Laranjeiras on the beach at night, people jamming, chatting and having coco milk.
The Choros is also a rhythm. It's like a samba figure but slower and we have different parts, generally a verse alternate with a bridge.After that, you are free to forget about it and do your own. But I like to go back to the Brazil I have inside.Look at what I like about him. Music has to be enjoyable, a sensual experience, something you share with heart, soul.


The Brazilian life is the mold for the 5 preludes:

- The sertanejo (people living in North East). I love to imagine them riding their horses (you have a lot of ranches there… an extension of Texas maybe) Yep! Texas is big. You drive… drive, drive and still are in Texas… drive to Paris… you're still in Texas!

-The outlaws (sounds like Villa Lobos shared that taste for the lawbreakers with Jorge Amado). They are like picaresque… in the book at least. But some of them practice the capoera, live on the beach and use it as a house and a bed for love… nice, uh?

-Indian song (Lobos said he composed this one after he arrived into an Indian village where each one have been killed. The fast arpeggio represents the Indians running away in front of the death.

-Yemanja, the goddess of the sea also a tribute to Bach. When I play this one I love just to remember when, at the beach, I used to keep my head under water and listen to the waves dying on the shores.

-The young lovers in Rio. Evocation of the social life. The ball, the romantic conversations…You don't want to remove the expression from that and kill it!

This fellow knew how to write music, though I like to point at some details like the time signature in prelude 5 (every body plays that like a waltz instead of a 6/4). The rhythm in prelude 3 or the andantino tempo in the first one… Those leads are important for me to phrase the right way. And if I feel I have like an understanding, the music becomes mine. I love to dream when I play and want to share it.

There is cool website about Villa Lobos, it's the Museum in Rio de Janeiro.here it is: http://www.museuvillalobos.org.br/

Two years ago I started to work on the script and watch a bunch of DVD's and Videos. One of my favorite ones is Chet Atkins teaching some of his hits: Little Waltz, Young Things… He's way too fast in the teaching part - yeah, even for me - but the screen is splitted diagonally and you get a close-up of his hands. That's genious. Therefore it was one of my things.


When I moved to Austin and met Gary Powell I came up with this project and he was interested. Then, I worked some more on the script because I wanted to have it perfect. Gary is an artist, a true one with a lot of taste. We had a lot of conversation and visionned together some of my favorite DVD's.

Finally, even if Gary was hyper busy with 2 CD's productions, we schedule the session and I drove to Austin with one of my instrumental students, Brock Griffith. For one complete day he worked with Gary and David on the light set up. They end up with a cozy-inside tropical house looking that just amazed me.

The Thurday morning, at 10:00, we get into the studio and Brock arrange a prompteur for me…And then, we started to shoot the DVD. I was really ready, at 5:00pm it was done and ready for the editing phase. We took a breack and get a diner.
8:00pm we get back to recorded the preludes to complete the CD I started to record in Brazil few months ago with Bossa singer Denise Pinaud. At 11:00pm both projects were completed.

Then, we spend a huge amount of time conversing with Gary about the fact I should record a CD with songs. Which I never did. The Saturday, Amy and Gary had setup a concert in their fantastic house and Gary asked me to sing for the whole second set. So did I.

The reaction of the audience was so good that, right after the show, we stayed together brainstorming about the song project… that will be another story!

See you around, Philippe

Philippe Bertaud on the Music of Villa Lobos. Production Miramuse, Distribution Carl Fisher.
You already can watch some of the lesson and live performance on my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment